2022: £3.2bn (including committments)
How we create value
• Effective use of 3i’s network
• Comprehensive due diligence
• Consistent with return/yield targets
• Fits risk appetite
• Make immediate improvements
• Appropriate board representation and composition
• Incentivise and align management teams
• Agree strategic direction
• Develop action plan
• Right capital structure to fund growth plan
• Ongoing support
• Monitor performance
• Review further investment opportunities
• Facilitate and execute M&A
• (Re)position business and enhance infrastructure characteristic to maximise exit value
• Long-term view but will sell to maximise shareholder value
Megatrends are shaping the world around us, influencing decision making and changing the demands placed on our economy and services. Identifying the potential for change is a key driver of our investment decision making – from the businesses, sectors and countries we invest in, to the way we go about finding opportunities.
Delivering an attractive mix of income yield and capital growth for shareholders. Investing in a diversified portfolio in developed markets, with a focus on the UK and Europe.
Largest single investment by value
Focusing selectively on investments that are value-enhancing to the Company’s portfolio and with returns consistent with our objectives.
New investments less amounts syndicated in the financial year
Driving value from our portfolio through our engaged asset-management approach. Delivering growth through platform investments.
Follow-on investments in portfolio companies
Portfolio companies refinanced
Minimising return dilution to shareholders from holding excessive cash, while retaining a good level of liquidity for future investment.
Ensuring that our investment decisions and asset-management approach consider both the risks and opportunities presented by sustainability.
Installed renewable energy capacity, increase in year
As active owners we seek to ensure that our investee companies are run responsibly and that they can make a positive contribution to their employees, customers, suppliers and the local communities in which they operate. We facilitate and encourage the exchange of best practices by portfolio companies. We seek to manage material ESG risks and opportunities during the period of the Company’s investment. We require all our portfolio companies to measure their GHG emissions.